Transformation rules help you transform extensive export or import JSON data into more manageable JSON structures that are readable and easier to understand. You can use this feature to
- flatten complex JSON structures.
- provide meaningful field names.
- remove all but a limited set of fields for processing in a flow.
Example: If the field names in your export data differ from the field names required by your destination app, you could apply a transform to the data exported from your source application that would rename those fields before sending the data to the import.
There are three windows in a transformation panel:
Rules – Determines how you will transform your records.
- Left column – Lists all the available fields in your export data.
- Right column – Create or modify your available fields to flatten complex JSON structures, provide meaningful field names, or remove all but a limited set of fields for processing in a flow.
- Input – Displays a complete sample of your exported data.
- Output – Displays the final version of your transformed data.
Apply a transform
Use the following steps to apply a transform to a flow step.
- In Flow Builder, click + and select the transform icon. The Define transformation advanced field editor (AFE) opens.
- In the Rules window of the AFE, use the left-column drop-down menu to select a field from your export data. Then, in the text box on the right column, enter the field name you want to send to the next step of your flow.
Drag and drop the fields as needed to change the order in which the rules are applied.
Note: If Auto preview is enabled, the results of your transform configuration immediately display in the Output section of the AFE.
Important: You must extract all of the fields you want to keep, even if you only modify one of them. Only the fields listed under in the Output section of the AFE will be included in the final record.
- When your data meets the requirements for the next step in your flow, click Save & close.