Segment is a customer data platform (CDP) that helps you collect, clean, and control customers’ data.
Segment documentation: API guide, Authentication
Additional reference: Supported Segment APIs
A. Set up a Segment connection
Start establishing a connection to Segment in either of the following ways:
- From the Resources menu, select Connections. Then, click + Create connection at the top right.
– or –
- While working in a new or existing integration, you can add an application to a flow simply by clicking Add source or Add destination/lookup.
In the resulting Application list, select Segment.
The Create connection pane opens with required and advanced settings.
B. Supply required Segment account information
At this point, you’re presented with settings for providing Segment authentication:
Name (required): Provide a clear and distinguishable name. Throughout integrator.io imports and exports, you will have the option to choose this new connection, and a unique identifier will prove helpful later when selecting among a list of connections that you’ve created.
Application (required, non-editable): A reminder of the app you’re editing.
Write key (required): Enter the unique write key for your Segment source. Multiple layers of protection, including AES 256 encryption, are in place to keep your private key safe. When editing this connection, you must re-enter this value each time; it is stored only when the connection is saved and never displayed as text.
The write key is a unique identifier for each source. It lets Segment know which source is sending the data and which destinations should receive that data.
Sign into your Segment account.
- From a workspace dashboard, navigate to Connections > Sources, and select the source that you want to connect to.
- Click a source from the list to view its properties.
- From the Settings tab, select API keys.
- Copy the Write key for your connection.
C. Edit advanced Segment settings
Before continuing, you have the opportunity to provide additional configuration information, if needed, for the Segment connection.
D. Test the connection
Once you have configured the Segment connection, you have a few options for continuing:
- Save – click this button to test the connection, commit the new connection so that it will be available to all integrations for your account
- Save & close – click to test and save the connection and exit the Create connection pane
- Close – click to exit without saving any new changes
- Test connection – click this button to verify that your new connection is free of errors
When you test or save the connection, it is verified before continuing.
After testing the connection, return to Segment and open the app’s Debugger. Look for traffic to your integrator.io connection. If it is not reflected in Debugger, then the ping was not successful.
The new connection is now successfully added to your account. It will be applied to the current source or destination app, if you created it within a flow. Otherwise, you may proceed to register the connection with an integration.
Please sign in to leave a comment.