Metafields in Shopify allows you to store additional information for product and their variants, collections, orders, blogs, pages, and your shop that cannot be managed within the native fields. If you want to maintain additional description fields for your catalogs such as the featured description, you can do this in NetSuite by creating custom fields. But in Shopify, you can do this by leveraging the metafields functionality. A metafield in Shopify consists of a namespace, a key, a value, and a description (optional). For more information about metafields and their different parts, refer to Metafields.
To configure the metafields, use the Namespace, Key, Value (Enter NetSuite Field ID), and Description (Optional: Enter NetSuite Field ID) fields of the “Specify your Shopify variant metafield components” setting.
For more information about metafields, refer to Support metafields at the variant level.
Scenario to configure metafields
In this scenario, let’s create metafields to provide additional information about a mobile screen. In NetSuite, for the matrix item named “Mobile”, create three custom fields as “description”, “screen size”, and “units”. The internal ID of these fields is used as an input in the value in the and description fields in the Specify your Shopify variant metafield components” setting to sync the data. After you save this setting and run the “NetSuite Matrix Item to Shopify Product” flow, the metafields are configured for the product named “Mobile”.
- In integrator.io, click Shopify - NetSuite Integration AppIntegration App tile.
- Go to Settings > Product.
- In the NetSuite Saved Search for syncing Matrix Item details drop-down list, verify if the appropriate saved search is selected.
- Example: Celigo Shopify Matrix Item Export [US Store].
- Prerequisite: Before you perform the next step, ensure to select the currency and price level as mentioned in the article.
- The Namespace and Key combination must be unique and case sensitive.
- In the Value and Description fields, you must enter the NetSuite standard or custom field ID.
- Do not use a colon “:” in the Namespace field in the “Specify your Shopify variant metafield components” section.
As the metafields are not directly available on the Shopify store’s user interface, you can verify the metafields as follows:
- Open the appropriate product in Shopify and in the browser address bar (URL), after the Shopify product ID, enter /variants.json to see the variants.
- Example: https://usstore.myshopify.com/admin/products/3870307156050/variants.json